Friday, February 20, 2009

My pensive thoughts and lements for the dead mouse (it is a Very Short Story!)

A trail of blood covered the ground. My eyes followed each droplet until it came to this object. I jumped. Lying on the smoothly, paved, creme- colored sidewalk laid a dead mouse. My intial instict would be to run away,  but instead I remained where I was. Myeyes focused on the dead corpse.

       The mouse's tail was shaped like a spiral noodle. I wondered if its tail was ever straight. I  continued to investigate it. I then thought to myself, "More animals and insects  die than people do per day. When a person dies, a few people show up at their funeral to honor them for the things that they have done; but when an animal dies, an innocent, little mouse, no one stops to lament, honor or remember the mouse at all. The world does not care. I then realized that I must mourn for this mouse if no one else would.

     An autumn breeze blew, as the mouse's tail rattled. I attempted to look even more closely than I had ever, trying to contemplate over what it must be like to be a mouse. What was its soul like? Another breeze blew. I realized that I had to be on my way to visit Kim. I blew a kiss to the mouse, which swayed into the breeze.

1 comment:

IloveMorris said...

I wrote this when I was 18 years old.
I find it really enlightening to look back at how much I have progressed and changed since then, but also how much I knew then-- it still startles me! :)